Wednesday, December 9, 2015

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT FASTING

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT FASTING - 

For part 8 of THE LEAVEN OF THE PHARISEES, see melindafish.blogspot.com


How you treat God says everything about Who you believe He is. Since Christians do not live under the Old Covenant but the New, our understanding of Him grows in a continuously unfolding knowledge of His grace and love. He is a loving, tender-hearted Father. He is not an abstract Force who wants to remain a mystery; He has spared nothing because He wants to know you. He has every hair on your head numbered---even the ones that fell out! To Him you are His Precious baby, and He wants to "pinch your little, fat cheeks."

I used to fast frequently and at great length for periods as long as 40 days back when I didn't know His love like I do now. Forgive me if I say that I have outgrown the practice. I never understood it really and dreaded the periods when I thought He wanted me to display my devotion to Him through it. I participated in it when I thought that it would help God hear me and answer my prayers. I never realized He cared about me so much, that He had affection and love for me and knew my weaknesses and was somehow "nuts" about me, anyway. 

For me to go on a long or even a short fast would be an insult to our relationship. It would be as though I suddenly forgot Who He is and His eagerness to answer my simple prayers. I've long ago found out that as far as the devil is concerned, "My Daddy can beat up your daddy, and He already has!" He has already subdued the Enemy and is currently "spoiling His house." I don't usually panic anymore when the tower of Siloam falls or the Romans do something else stupid or immoral. God knows it all and loves them, too. He sent Jesus to show them He does, even though they haven't seen it. Maybe they will, if I just love them.

If you want to fast, go ahead. Maybe you will wear yourself out, too, and just fall into His love and be able to trust Him to run the world and pillage the kingdom of darkness today. He has everything under His control. I hope so, because the grocery man needs your support! 

No comments:

Post a Comment